A network of Greek and Turkish entities working in the field of conservation and protection of the environment, specifically wild orchids was established. A new innovative common tool and methodologies for education in environmental protection was created. Common guidelines were prepared for species monitoring to increase awareness of Turkish and Greek citizens about specific endangered species and threats. Also, it was aimed to inform the Turkish society, especially CSOs, local authorities and relevant stakeholders about EU environmental policies and legislation.
ACTIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- A kick-off meeting was held in Antalya where Turkish, German and Greek experts gathered and a field trip was organized to observe the Kemer orchids on site.
- A report was prepared to analyse and transfer the best practices..
- A website (www.eastmedorchids.org) was established and a digital interactive education platform was created through the site.
- Common guidelines and a monitoring protocol for orchids in Turkey and Greece were elaborated.
- A documentary was prepared (http://www.eastmedorchids.org/cms?id=21) and broadcasted on various platforms. The exhibition created under the scope of the project was exhibited in Antalya EXPO 2016, Ankara and Greece.
- A study visit to Greece (Samos) including a 1-day workshop and 3 lectures, and a 1-day workshop in Antalya, Turkey were organized.
- An international conference was held in Antalya in which the project results were discussed.
- Please visit https://youtu.be/CGfSoZ7EINM and https://youtu.be/Q5nODIG-F6g for interviews with the grant beneficiary.