Exchange of information and expertise between Turkey and Italy regarding brown bear population management towards the implementation of EU policies and legislation.
ACTIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Brown bear population data available in two countries was shared and assessed.
- Two study visits to Adamello Brenta Nature Park and a study visit to Sarikamis National Park were organized. Experts and academicians worked on the brown bear ecology, population management and the human dimension of the subject.
- An international workshop on brown bear population management was organized in Italy for knowledge and experience sharing. Almost 30 experts from EU countries and Turkey participated in the workshop.
- A Turkish brochure on best practices for human-bear conflict prevention and management was prepared.
- Educational material on environmental conservation and brown bears was prepared for children.
- 10 awareness seminars were organized in Kars. The project results were shared during the seminars which were held in schools and also for local tourism operators working in ecotourism and local community.
- A website including opportunities available for ecotourism in the region and brown bears was designed (bozayilarikorumak.org).
- Please visit https://youtu.be/oKnfWV1M-DQ, https://youtu.be/jVBOzZ4cLdE and https://youtu.be/SnBmEcg8UZY for interviews with the grant beneficiary.